procmail hanging problems..

1996-11-21 08:22:48
Not sure if this is really a problem with procmail but it's a place to start.

OUt config is as follows... We are a mix shop, SUN and SGI.  We use sevral SGI
CRIMSON systems as file servers for the users home and mail dirsctories.  Mail
is delivered to the servers in /var/mail, which is automounted to the
workstatsion in a /postoffice directory.

Problem:

Clent system (workstation) is a SUN Solaris 2.5 box, and the mail server system
is a SGI 6.2 system procmail will hang.

Events:

SUN user opens MailTool... After bringing up MailTool for the first time and as
long as it stays as an icon user receives mail.  The frist time the user
uniconifies (sp?) MailTool, procmail will nolonger deliver the mail.

This was set up before I got here...  They use procmail only to deliver mail
after adding text to the message to MailTool will recognise attachments from
non-SUN systems.  We have the Mlocal line in the sendmail.cf pass the mail to a
script which adds the X-SUN lines where needed and then calls procmail to do
final delivery.

When this "hang" state begins, I can kill -15 procmail and release things and
the log will give me:

Terminated prematurly whist waiting for kernel lock.

Useing procmail 3.10  with all locking stratigies enabled...

The SGI 6.2 system has all the NFS patches out.  This is very specific to IRIX
6.2 and Solaris 2.5 interaction.....   Solaris 2.4 systems don't have this
problem....

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
Mitch

--
/* Mitch "Buzz" Baker     Analyst/Systems Administrator        */