Re: Rewriting mail headers with procmail

1996-12-12 09:21:34
I'd like to use procmail and formail to rewrite uucp-style
headers into internet style.

I run a small Linux system with uucp mail connectivity.  I've had
repeated problems with sendmail and smail-3, so I've just
installed a new mail system named "qmail" using procmail for
final local delivery.  This works wonderfully --- with one
exception: incoming uucp mail has the local hostname appended as
"@hostname".  (Actually that happens to all mail not containing
an "@" in the "From:" header.)

For example, the address of this list appears to users on my
system as

       "From:
Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE!procmail(_at_)n2ell(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)md(_dot_)us"

and I'd like to rewrite that so it becomes

      "From: procmail(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE"

instead

This should do the trick.  This is a "non-delivering recipe" which
filters the headers as you wish.  Since it is "non-delivering", PROCMAIL
will continue after this recipe (if there *are* other recipes).

        :0 fhw
        *
^From:(_dot_)*Informatik\(_dot_)RWTH\-Aachen\(_dot_)DE\!procmail(_at_)n2ell\columbia\(_dot_)md\(_dot_)us
        | $FORMAIL -I"From: procmail(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE"

If you wish PROCMAIL to stop processing after this recipe, place this
recipe directly after the above one:

        :0 a
        $ORGMAIL

Lates!