Question about SmartList

1996-12-28 21:32:48

        I guess that there is a separate list for
        questions about SmartList.  I'll subscribe to
        that (once I find the address) and possibly
        repost this question there.

        However I'd like to ask this here anyway.

        I've just started my first general discussion
        mailing list.

        All of the mailing lists that that I've configured
        under SmartList before were of the "Announcements"
        sort -- and most of them were configured for people
        to subscribe via a web page.  Those are exception
        easy to create under SmartList -- just delink
        ~$listman/$listdir/accept from ~$listman/$listdir/dist
        (where $listman is the list manager's account and
        $listdir is the name of the list).  Then you just
        put the mail addresses of all the people who are
        allowed to post announcements to the accept file
        and let your CGI script add the names to the
        dist file (after checking the reject list, of course).

        My list does seem to be working but I have two
        gripes.  The first was that it didn't seem to accept
        subscriptions requests if the body was empty
        and the subject just said "subscribe."  I hacked in
        a recipe that seemed to solve that.

        Now it doesn't seem to accept subscribe requests where
        the subject is blank and the body contains the
        subscribe request.  I thought I hacked that it --
        and it worked from my test account on the local host
        but I'm still getting subscribe requests diverted
        to me.

        One other problem:  It seems that some people need to
        subscribe to an address that differs (usually only
        slightly) from their real address.  They use the
        syntax:

                subscribe
other(_dot_)address(_at_)different(_dot_)host(_dot_)intheirdomain

        SmartList seems to bounce those to me as well.
        So far I've simply cut the requests and pasted
        the addresses directly into the 'dist' file.

        I'm sure that will work -- but they won't receive
        the initial "Welcome to the list" message and
        it'll clearly get to be tiresome.

        More importantly I'd like to use something like
        Majordomo's optional verification routine.  That
        sends a message to the new subscriber with a
        randomly generated authorization string -- and
        requires them to verify their acceptance of the
        subscription request by simply replying to the
        auto response.

        This sounds reasonably easy to do in procmail --
        but I'd sure like to just use someone else's
        recipes for it rather than writing, testing and
        debugging the thing myself.

        So, the questions are:

                1. is there a tested patch to SmartList
                   that handles subscribe and unsubscribe
                   requests on the subject *and* in the body?

                2. is there a tested set of recipes to
                   implement a request verification subsystem
                   to SmartList.

        Thanks in advance for any responses.  If the answer
        to either or both of these is "no" or "not that we know
        of" I'd like to hear suggestions about how to implement
        and test these options and how to get them rolled into
        the main SmartList distribution.

        Jim Dennis,
        Starshine Technical Services