Re: Compile error

1997-01-06 17:40:52
rdecker(_at_)kingdominc(_dot_)com writes:
Not being a C programmer I am having trouble with the following error when I
try to compile procmail. If anyone can tell me what the error is and how to
fix it I would appreciate the help.

Here is the error:

cc -c -O formail.c
formail.c:38: `daemon' redeclared as different kind of symbol
/usr/include/stdlib.h:141: previous declaration of `daemon'
formail.c:38: warning: `daemon' was declared `extern' and later `static'
*** Error code 1

NOTE: when you're having problems compiling something, you should say
what version you're compiling, and what platform you're doing this on.
It so happens that in this case it can be infered that you're compiling
procmail 3.10 or earlier on a BSD4.4 based system (BSDI, OpenBSD, etc).
However, leaving out such critical information frustrates others, and
may make them just ignore you.

Anyway...

Get the newest version, 3.11pre4.  To quote the HISTORY file:

1995/10/29: v3.11pre4
            Changes to formail:
               - Slightly extended the number of known header fields
               - Eliminated the conflict with the 4.4BSD daemon libidentifier

Procmail 3.11pre4 is stable and has no known bugs.  We use it as the
Local Delivery Agent here, and many other places do likewise, so it's
not like it hasn't been banged on.

Philip Guenther