Why is formail not splitting digests with lines of hyphens?

1997-01-30 11:29:40

I am getting a digest that is not being split by:
        formail -ds >> file
The problem is that articles within the digest are
separated by a lines of all hyphens preceding the normal
Date/From/Subject fields. As soon as I delete the hyphen
lines, formail splits the digest properly.

Is formail doing the `right' thing by not recognizing
articles in digests with hyphen lines?

Right or wrong, what exactly does formail want articles
preceded by in order for me to be able to split the
digests? For example, should I be changing the hyphen
lines to blank lines instead of deleting them?

  -Stan