Recipe needed: how to combine output of multiple filters run on a message body

1997-01-30 13:49:45

Here's a description of what I would like to do. How can I prepend the
output of an arbitrary command (executed with the message body as
input) to the body of the message. For example, I would like to add
the output of:
        grep <pattern>
and then some delimeter in front of the body. It could be done several
ways:
    * String the body in a temp file and processing that multiple times
    * Using a language like perl or awk that could store the lines of
      the body internally and perform the necessary multiple passes
      over them
    * Capturing the output of the arbitrary in a variable, then
      filtering the message by echoing the variable and writing
      the body.

But is there another way that would be a little more elegant?

Thanks in advance,
  Stan