MAILDIR and LOGFILE

1997-02-16 14:00:46
While debugging a procmail script (invoked with procmail -m, and
with DEFAULT=| for stdout), I noticed that even though I set
LOGFILE=unpack.log, that neither the output from VERBOSE=y or
from assigning to LOG actually went to $LOGFILE (I dont' know
where the output went), _unless_ I set MAILDIR to a _full_ pathname
of the current directory.

Is this the expected interaction between MAILDIR and LOGFILE?

I didn't particularly like the idea of hardwiring a full pathname
into MAILDIR, and tried:

MAILDIR=./

MAILDIR=.

MAILDIR=`pwd`

MAILDIR=$PWD

but none of the above changed the behavior of logging, I saw no output
in the current directory.

this worked:

MAILDIR=/usr/people/gary/test

Any idea what's going on here?