Re: Extract To for autoreply

1997-02-18 21:17:46
tbac(_at_)IDT(_dot_)NET writes:
Hello, I use the following to extract and include "from"
in an autoreply, but I can't seen to get it to work
for "to".

FROM=`formail -rt -xTo:`  # not sure if this is part of it or not.
echo "You are NOT on the approved list: $from";\

I want to do something like

echo" $to is not a valid user name";/

You need to be clearer about what you have versus what you want.  Cutting
and pasting the relevant sections of your current .procmailrc are a good
start on the former.

I'll also note that variable names are case sensitive: $from will not
give you the expansion of the FROM variable.

Finally, when you say "to", what do you mean?  Do you want the value of
the "To:" header field?  Do you want the list of all the destination
addresses in the header?  Or do you want the address that that *this*
particular message was sent to (i.e., the envelope address)?  If you're
doing mail routing on it, then you almost 100% guaranteed want the last
of these, which you can't get without help from your MTA (e.g.,
sendmail).

Philip Guenther