Re: Auto responding mail

1997-02-19 14:07:05

Hi.
  If anyone could help me.

  I want that anytime a mail arrives to an address (user reads mail via
POP3 server), a response (in a file or somewhere it should be) is sended
to the address where the original mail comes.

  How can I do that?

        To issue the receipt from the server *when the server
        receives the mail* is trivial.

        To have a POP server send the receipt after the
        mail has been successfully downloaded to a client
        (which is what it sounds like you're trying to do)
        strikes me as being very difficult.

        I suspect that you'd need to customize your POP/IMAP
        daemon to really do this right.  What a bizarre idea --
        a POP-3 daemon that was built to post processes each message
        using procmail.  You could have it configured to look for
        a .procmailrc in the user's home and pass each message
        to it after the POP DELE command was received.

        No, wait... that wouldn't work.  It would to look for
        something like ~/.pop.procmailrc  It could internally
        call procmail with a set of arguments specifying
        what was being done with each message (so events
        other than DELE's could be hooked).

        Scary thought.

 Thanks for all.

P.S. Please, reply at my own address, not to the list (I think that I
still couldn't have the suscription)  :-(

        This list is configured in a sane fashion.  Replies go
        to you and are copied to the list (or optionally not
        copied to the list).

Daniel Serena

--
Jim Dennis,
info(_at_)mail(_dot_)starshine(_dot_)org