Re: procmail error messages

1997-03-03 08:46:10
P K SINGH <prabhat(_at_)giasbm01(_dot_)vsnl(_dot_)net(_dot_)in> writes:
I am filltering all mails having 'junk' as subject and rc file as
/etc/procmailrc.
Sometimes i get the following error on console:
Mar  1 04:44:12 ems-bombay procmail[22964]: Unknown user "mailer-daemon"
Mar  1 04:44:14 ems-bombay procmail[22972]: Unknown user "mailer-daemon"
Mar  1 07:07:56 ems-bombay procmail[16534]: Unknown user "net.com"
----
Why is this happening?

Mail is being sent to "mailer-daemon" and "net.com", and your MTA
(sendmail?) thinks that it can deliver to those addresses by simply
feeding the message to procmail.  However, no such user exists, so
procmail logs the error and returns EX_USER, hoping to cause the
message to bounce.  Something is wrong with your MTA configuration:  it
shouldn't be feeding messages to procmail unless the destination
address is a local user.  You should take this up matter up somewhere
appropriate for your MTA.  If your MTA is sendmail you could try
comp.mail.sendmail.  Otherwise, check your documentation.

How can i enable logging for this setup.I am able to do logging of
procmail transactions in my account,when i have created the .procmailrc
file in my home dir,but how to do logging for central filter
recipe(etc/procmailrc)

Doesn't putting

        LOGFILE = /some/logfile/location

at the beginning of your /etc/procmailrc, and

        LOGFILE

at the end work?

Philip Guenthe