Re: forward mechanism

1997-03-09 15:11:38
On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Walter Tautz wrote:

Hello, I am starting out with procmail. I am user with no
write permission to the spool and seek to use procmail simply
to process the mail into various folders in my home mail directory.

The forward mechanism doesn't seem to work with pine 3.0 that I
am using. Is there a special flag i have to invoke pine with, the
man page doesn't seem to say anything about this.

I tried the script in the man page of procmail under NOTES and
succeeded in destroying the folder. lockfile asks can't
determine mailbox or something like that.
-Walter

    I am not quite sure just what your question is.  However, I have
one: what is Pine 3.0?  The current version of Pine is 3.96.  In any
case, I have been using procmail in front of Pine ever since version
3.91 with no difficulties, primarily for filtering mail into separate
incoming folders.  I have had no problem at all (assuming I have not
tripped over my own feet trying to do something exotic).  Actually,
Pine is not really involved in the process at all.  Pine is just a
passive benefactor of what procmail does, provided you are using
procmail correctly.

    Before some of the procmail gurus on this list (i.e., others) can
help you, perhaps you should supply some more information:

1)  What version of procmail are you using?

2)  What OS and version?

3)  What does your .forward look like?

4)  What does your .procmailrc look like (including any INCLUDERC
    files)?

5)  What is the fully qualified path to the directory where Pine
    expects to find its folders?

6)  Can you capture and include the exact error message(s) you are
    receiving?

Paul                             <pobart(_at_)access(_dot_)digex(_dot_)net>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart