Re: Error Message

1997-03-12 13:51:30
ddivakar(_at_)macaw(_dot_)retix(_dot_)com writes:

[This is a courtesy copy of an article posted to Usenet via Deja News]

Hi,  I started using procmail recently and whenever I receive a new mail
an error message saying "mesg: cannot stat            biff failed:
cannot locate your tty:...." appears in my log file.

Log file ------- procmail: Locking "/usr/mail/ddivakar.lock" procmail:
Assigning "LASTFOLDER=/usr/mail/ddivakar" procmail: Opening
"/usr/mail/ddivakar" procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock biff failed:  cannot
locate your tty:  ttyname() for file descriptor 2 returned NULL procmail:
[12401] Tue Mar 11 14:21:05 1997 procmail: Unlocking
"/usr/mail/ddivakar.lock" From dopost(_at_)grunt(_dot_)dejanews(_dot_)com  Tue
Mar 11
14:21:03 1997  Subject: Deja News posted your article:
<858118764(_dot_)25650(_at_)dejanews(_dot_)com>        Folder:
/usr/mail/ddivakar  1506
procmail: Notified comsat: "ddivakar(_at_)0:/usr/mail/ddivakar" mesg: cannot
stat biff failed:  cannot locate your tty:  ttyname() for file descriptor
2 returned NULL

You really should turn off automatic line wrapping when including
things like logfile entries.  The above is almost unreadable.  It is
possible however to discern within the above, error messages that
indicate that the "mesg" and "biff" commands are being run.  Since they
expect to be run from a login session, they barf as shown.

I suggest you check to make sure that the TRAP variable isn't being set
somewhere to run those commands, and that your .cshrc/.tcshrc (if you
run a csh variant shell) doesn't have either of those commands in them
(such commands belong in one's .login instead).

Philip Guenther