Re: Another question about generating "From " lines

1997-03-27 13:54:03
"Simeon ben Nevel" <Simeon(_dot_)Nevel(_at_)Schwab(_dot_)COM> writes:
Thanks muchly to all those who responded so rapidly to my question about
generating "From " lines in my digest files.

The solution was to use formail -eds <digest >digest_with_from_lines

Now for another question.

Using this method generates a "From " line with the local date/time that
formail was run.

Is there anyway to generate a "From " line using the information contained
in the "From:" header in each message?

Umm, the From: header doesn't contain the date.  Were you thinking of
having formail get the date from the Date: header?  You can do this,
but to quote the formail manpage:

BUGS
     When formail has to generate a leading `From ' line it  nor-
     mally  will  contain  the current date.  If formail is given
     the option `-a Date:', it will use the date from the `Date:'
     field  in  the  header (if present).  However, since formail
     copies it verbatim, the format will differ from that expect-
     ed by most mail readers.

You can therefore try the following:

        formail -a Date: -eds <digest >mailbox_format

I'm want to build up a web accessable archive from past digests and
without this ability, the date-sorted index will be hopelessly garbled.

Whether your indexer will understand the date format copied into the
"From " line is an open question.  If it does, you win.  If it doesn't,
you lose.

Philip Guenther