Re: procmail and **Bounced**

1997-04-02 12:16:00
process(_at_)qz(_dot_)little-neck(_dot_)ny(_dot_)us (Eli the Bearded) writes:
Philip Guenther <guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu> replied to me:
Why did that recipe give me log entries like this for all the zero
scoring stuff? I can find nothing about this in the manpages.

When you use the '-m' flag to procmail, it assumes that all messages
will be explicitly handled: it's a filter, not a delivery agent.  To
this end it unsets the DEFAULT and ORGMAIL variables.  This causes it
to bounce messages that aren't 'delivered' before the end of the rc
file.

Yes, I gathered that. But I still fail to see why the recipe
would fail to deliver mail which scored zero.

Um, because zero isn't positive? To quote the procmailsc(5) manpage:

     When  weighted  scoring  is used in a recipe, then the final
     score for that recipe must be positive for it to match.

The score was zero, it didn't match, so the action wasn't done.

Philip Guenther