procmail - Enforcing stricter permissions

1997-04-02 22:47:00

Greetings.

I am currently maintaining several linux servers with full internet
services, and suddenly, quite without warning, one of them (2.0.0 kernel -
slackware dist.) started bouncing back mail with errors like -

procmail: Enforcing stricter permissions on "/var/spool/mail/ntsnwa"
procmail: Lock failure on "/var/spool/mail/ntsnwa.lock"
procmail: Error while writing to "/var/spool/mail/ntsnwa"
550 <ntsnwa(_at_)dreamland(_dot_)dicksonstreet(_dot_)com>... Can't create
output: Error 0

It would seem that this would either entail a bad permission on a file in
/var/spool/mail or sendmail (or procmail) is not running with the correct
permissions (as root?)

Here is an example entry from /var/spool/mail -

-rw-rw----   1 ntsnwa   mail            0 Apr  2 13:24 ntsnwa

^^^^^^^^^^ is this not correct? I have another box on the same network and
they 'appear' the same.

Typing 'procmail -v' reveals -

procmail v3.10 1994/10/31 written and created by Stephen R. van den Berg

berg(_at_)pool(_dot_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de

<snip --- for your convenience --- snip>

Locking strategies:     dotlocking, fcntl(), lockf()
Default rcfile:         $HOME/.procmailrc
System mailbox:         /var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME

Telnet'ing in  yields -
220 dreamland.dicksonstreet.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.8.3/8.8.3; Wed,2 Apr1997 21:0

What can I do to fix this? I have searched usenet and found a similar
question w/o a reply yet. Can I expect this from my other machine running
same versions? Why have a never seen this before on the other
configurations I have run?

HELP!

Jeff