Re: Mail folder format(s)

1997-04-16 23:00:00
I tried giving Pine some files to read, with faked headers,
(logfiles), and found Pine had some peculiar 'From ' line it looked
for. Simply using "From dnhunt" made pine choke, while it tried to
append the 'mail' to the previous mail in the folder. So I came up
with a format that gives Pine what it is looking for.

Pine looks for 2 spaces after the address, followed by a date with the
timezone and adjustment from GMT removed.

"From address  Wed Apr 16 18:28:23 1997"

So to imitate that I used:

                DATE=`date | cut -c-20,25-`
                :0
                echo "From $USER  $DATE" | formail \
                [remainder removed for brevity]

I can then put that in $DEFAULT or any other folder without problems.
I suspect that some other mail programs would be able to use that as
the seperator.

David