Re: Unwanted text placed in inbox

1997-05-18 10:41:00
On Sun, 18 May 1997 09:39:43 -0700,
Bill Moseley <moseley(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com> wrote:
Every once in a while I get the replied message placed in my inbox -- and
it only contains the BODY, and *not* the headers.  Then I can't read my
mail until I manually edit my inbox.

Your problem is the f flag. Take it out. I don't know what your
intention was of including it on this recipe, but what it does is to
replace the original header of the message with whatever sendmail
returns, which is nothing at all. The surprising part is your
"every once in a while" because the way I read this recipe, it should
happen every time (except when Procmail gets suspicious and tells you
in the log that something odd seems to have happened and that it
restored the original headers, but it should still end up in your
inbox then).

Can someone please help with this problem and explain why this is an
intermittent problem?  Doesn't the pipe to sendmail count as a delivered
message?

In itself, yes, but the f flag counters that.

:0
* $ ^Subject:.*SUBSCRIBE request to $LIST_NAME
* $ ^From $MAJORDOMO_SERVER
* !^Subject:.*(bounce|returned mail|host unknown)
{
   FROM=`formail -zxFrom:`

   :0fhw

Change this to just plain :0h

   | (formail -I"Subject: Autosubscribing to $LIST_NAME" \
              -I"To: $LIST_SERVER" \
              -I"From: $LIST_ADMIN" \
              -I"Reply-To:" ; \

I don't think adding an empty Reply-To is a good idea. If you don't
want replies, set the reply-to to some address which is going to
/dev/null -- nobody(_at_)your site is often set up to do just that.
(Me, I would very much like to receive error reports and such from
Majordomo.)

This also looks to me like the echoed message would become part of the
headers; you should probably echo an empty line before the actual
approve message.

      echo "approve $PASSWORD subscribe $LIST_NAME $FROM" ; \
      echo "end" \
    ) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t
}

Hope this helps,