Re: Locking, FAQ, ...

1997-06-06 09:36:00
wwgrol(_at_)sparc01(_dot_)fw(_dot_)hac(_dot_)com (W. Wesley Groleau x4923)
wrote:
[use dotlocking only when needed]
Does a FAQ have guidelines for making that decision?  Speaking of FAQs, where

Whenever you write to a file (other than /dev/null) you should have a
lock.  It is rare to need it in other circumstances. If you have other
circumstances, chances are you know about it already. (Most likely
any program that will need locks on not having multiple instances
running already has them, anyway.)

is a good one?  I have found several so-called "procmail FAQ" and have not
been impressed with any of them.  I have been assuming that the "real" one
is hard to find, prompting people to write their own....

Era's site has two FAQs. One I glanced at and did not find useful, one
is pretty good. One he wrote, one he did not.

<URL:http://www.iki.fi/~era/procmail/faq.html>
<URL:http://www.iki.fi/~era/procmail/mini-faq.html>

I don't recall either of them covering locking, but check for yourself.

Elijah
------
Please do not CC me when replying to the list.  It is not my responsibility to
prove to you my mail is not spam, if mail to you bounces it will not be resent.