Re: Really preserving "From " when forwarding....

1997-06-11 01:07:00
On Wed, 11 Jun 97 03:11:40 -0400,
"Timothy J. Luoma" <luomat(_at_)peak(_dot_)org> wrote:
Anyway, I've got mail delivered at one machine where I want mail delivered
(ie I don't want to bother telling people a whole new address), but I want
that message to be forwarded to my host.

If you want to do this unconditionally, just put the address to
forward to in the .forward file and that's it. (Yes, this will in fact
preserve the From_ line, at least on the system where I tried it.)
  The systems I've seen will allow you to have several lines in your
.forward file, so it should be possible to also run Procmail on the
"old" host for additional processing (such as maintaining a backup of
the last 48 hours' mail on the "old" host, for example).

(Note: I have some other questions in the comments below)

Without quoting them, let me just comment that I don't think pinging
the new host makes a lot of sense -- when it fails, it's awfully slow,
and when the host you want to forward to is down, sendmail and any
other sensible MTA will queue the mail and wait for the target host to
come back up.

Tangentially, you can find out how ping works WRT exit codes and such
by pinging a nonexistent host, no? (Many pings do not in fact return a
meaningful exit code. The Expect book discusses this to some extent,
and provides an Expect script for checking whether ping is hanging and
in that case report the pinged host as being down.)

/* era */

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>
 * Enjoy receiving spam? Register at <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam.html>