Multi-level spool mail directory

1997-06-25 12:06:00
Hi Folks!

I need to split the mail spool directory (/var/spool/mail) in several
smallers directories. Something like /var/spool/mail/u/s/user.

I tried to set MAILSPOOLHASH=2 in authenticate.c but now procmail (almost)
always abort trying to create the mailbox. The only instance it succeeds is
when the recipient is root. It seems that procmail drops its privileges too
early. When sending mail to user a /var/spool/mail/u directory is created
with owner user.

A similar problem occurs if MAILSPOOLHASH=1. When mailing to edesio a
directory .../e is created with owner edesio with mask 0700. When mailing to
eduardo it fails since it can't write on .../e.

Is this a bug or an interpretation error? Should root create every possible
directory combination so procmail can create the mailboxes?

Thanks in advance,

Edesio
edesio(_at_)acm(_dot_)org

P.S.: Sorry my poor english.

BTW: Where is this mail list (long term) archived?