formail options ? exitcode ? filter flags?

1997-06-27 08:48:00
Two recipes at the beginning of my ...rc and questions in [brackets]

# Prevent loops
:0 w
{
  EXITCODE=77
         [I have seen 77 and 67, but can't find clear documentation
          on what they mean (what their effect is) nor on other options]

  :0
  loops  [ this part just temporary, to see if any loops (almost) occur ]
}

# Regenerate "From" lines to make sure they are valid
:0 fhw
| formail -I "From " -a "From "

         [ I have been getting some messages split at a From line.
           Procmail handles the message properly as a single message, but
           the mail-reading tools split the message.  The formail man page
           says that "bogus" from lines will be escaped with >  but this
           never happens.

           What is a bogus from line?  Could this be failing because the
           bogus from line is part of a quoted header with more than two
           header lines (see man formail under -m)?  If that's it, then is
           there no way to fix it?  It is entirely conceivable that the
           real header will have eight fields and the quoted header will
           have ten.  (I have seen some with that many Received: fields.)

           What (in more detail than the man page) does
           '-I "From " -a "From "' do?

           Would the following be better?  Or a combination of both?  Or
           do I need something more?]

# Standardize the formats of messages (untried idea for filter)
:0 fhW
| formail -c -z -k

          [I do not expect to receive any digests, but if I do, I want
           them left in digest form until some later recipe.]