Re: "a" or "A" flag

1997-06-29 03:16:00
On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, Donald E. Hammond wrote:

Hello all -

I've been using procmail for about 6 mos and lurking here getting tips
and info.  Thanks.  Now it's time to work on my .procmailrc file and
I'm unclear on the "a" and "A" flags.

Some quick background.  At this time procmail is used as a SPAM filter,
because that was the pressing need.  (It will soon be used for sorting
as well but that's another story.)  There are recipes that catch
everything known to be good and then recipes that test for SPAM.  Some
of these filter on (From|Reply|Sender|Received) and others on obvious
Subject: lines.  I send SPAM to a file using the "c" flag, then to
/dev/null.  This is redundant, but I am being overly cautious until
certain everything is ok.  My recipes are not aggressive - I don't want
to cut off all communication with the outside world, only that which is
obviously of no interest to me.

      :0 c:
      * ^Subject:.*(\$\$+|!!+)
      SPAM

      :0 a
      /dev/null

If you just want to be careful, then why not do it this way:

:0
{
        :0 c:
        SPAM