Use of procmail and procmailrc

1997-06-30 09:44:00
Someone here is working abroad for 3 months,and wants to
send a message to anyone who tries to email him saying that
he is away, and then he wants to delete the incoming
message.  He does not want to save a copy of any of his
incoming mail.

I have used the .forward file to set up a vacation message,
and then to invoke procmail.  The .forward file reads thus:-
\ssimpson,"|vacation ssimpson"
"|IFS=' ' exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f-||exit 75"

the second line, as i understand it, to invoke the procmail
utility.
I have also set up a .procmailrc file which is intended to
delete all incoming mail (after having responded to it with
the vacation message) which looks like this:-
:0
/dev/nul

I have also tried adding various lines between the 2 above
eg. *.*, and * ^From.*, but although the vacation message
gets send out correctly so does the original message.

I would be very grateful if you could tell me how to use
procmail to delete all incoming messages.
Thankyou very much.
Sarah Phibbs
University Museum, Oxford.