Re: procmail and majordomo bounce messages

1997-07-02 23:59:00
On Wed, 2 Jul 1997 15:11:32 -0500 (CDT), Noah Lee - Tech Support
<juggler(_at_)io(_dot_)com> wrote:
I'd like to get procmail to filter my majordomo bounce messages out
for me. But i'd like it to actually kill duplicates of the same
message that comes in. Since I run several lists I get tons of
bounce messages. Is there a way to get procmail to save *one copy*
of a message and delete the rest of the bounces that come in that
are the same??

If you can define what being the same means, then yes, you just pass
your incoming mail to a program which compares them and throws away
the dupes. For an example where an identical message-id is the sole
criterion for duplicity, see man procmailex. If you end up comparing
contents of messages, be prepared for some heavy and likely imperfect
processing.
  (For bounces, I could imagine that all you have to look at is the
sender and grep out anything that looks like e-mail addresses in the
body. The major problem here is that there are as many incompatible
bounce formats as there are MTAs, and that's the lower bound. The
upper bound is the number of sites which have an MTA. FWIW, that's
pretty many. Fortunately, if you can handle Sendmail bounces, that
probably covers the bulk and you can do the rest by hand if you're too
lazy to update your filter each time you get a new sort of bounce.)

Hope this helps,

/* era */

--
Defin-i-t-e-ly. Sep-a-r-a-te. Gram-m-a-r.  <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>