Re: Using Message-ID as unique file name?

1997-07-13 04:00:00
On Sun, 13 Jul 1997 09:22:25 +0900, Mitsuru Furukawa <furu(_at_)009(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Is it safe(possible) to use  Message-ID as unique file name
for later reference?
Or does it incur problems due to meta characters which might be
included in ID?

I don't think I've seen Message-Id:s with slashes in them, which is
the only disallowed file name character in Unix file names. Per
definition, the Message-Id is supposed to be unique. So yes, you could
use it as a file name, provided you make sure it doesn't contain
slashes. (Algorithm: Read RFC822. If it allows slashes, do something
to disarm them. If it disallows slashes, see how many mailers obey
this. If many mailers seem to include slashes anyway, do something
after all.) But if you just want unique file names, let Procmail
handle it for you.

If it is not safe,
is there any way I could refer(know) the unique file name
just created automatically by directing email to directory textmail/.
in same recipe?

$LASTFOLDER

/* era */

--