procmail as a delivery agent doesn't like root?

1997-07-17 14:03:00
Hiya,

I'm working on setting up procmail as the local delivery agent and am having
a bit of weirdness happening and was wondering if somebody could explain it.

The specifics:
an SGI running IRIX 6.2, getting passwd and alias info via NIS(it does have
   a small /etc/passwd for things like root, daemon, lp, et.al.).
Sendmail 8.8.5, perms 4755, owned by root
procmail v3.11pre7, perms 4755 owned by root
A equate: A=procmail -a $h -d $u
F equate: SElsDFMmou
/etc/procmailrc only contains settings for TIMEOUT and LOCKTIMEOUT.

The weirdness:
If I leave out the U equate/set it to 0:0 I get an extra ">From " line right
underneath the real "From ".  If I set U=1:1 the bothersome ">From " goes
away.

Could it have something to do with procmail dropping out of explicit mode
because the destination username is not in /etc/passwd?  From the man page:

     If the destination name used in explicit  delivery  mode  is
     not  in  /etc/passwd,  procmail  will proceed as if explicit
     delivery mode  was  not  in  effect.

I had thought about telling sendmail not to generate the "From " and letting
procmail do it but it seems procmail likes to set the username part of the
"From " line to whatever sendmail logs as the ctladdr, which is not who the
email is from.

Do I need to modify the A equate to something like:
     A=procmail -f $f -a $h -d $u

Any ideas or pointers?

--
Randy    (schultz(_at_)cray(_dot_)com)  715-726-2832          <*>

2.998x10**8 m/sec - it's not just a good idea, it's the law.