Re: Bounce Mail

1997-07-24 15:40:00
wwgrol(_at_)sparc01(_dot_)fw(_dot_)hac(_dot_)com (W. Wesley Groleau x4923)
writes:

When you set EXITCODE to bounce a message, is there a way to affect the
contents of what gets sent back?  Or does sendmail automatically use its
canned wrapper and the original message?

I am fairly satisfied with the wording and format of what I send back now,
but I was thinking it would be a nice touch to set an EXITCODE that
corresponds to the wording of my refusal.

You can try sending your message to stdout, as last, I checked, sendmail
includes that in the text part of the bounce message.

        :0
        * conditions to bounce on
        {
            EXITCODE = 77               # 77 = EX_NOPERM
            :0 i
            | echo "You lose, hoser"
        }

Beware of insulting people, as they may enact their revange.

You may also want to change your EXITCODE to one of the other EX_*
codes that matches your intent closer (EX_USER in some cases, EX_PERM
in others, and EX_UNAVAILIBLE in still others).  The numeric values for
those constants should be found in /usr/include/sysincludes.h

Philip Guenther