Re: ^TO and plussed addresses

1997-07-27 12:46:00
Stan Ryckman <stanr(_at_)sunspot(_dot_)tiac(_dot_)net> wrote:
At 03:58 PM 7/26/97 -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:
       * ^TO.*\+[^,]*(_at_)luomat\(_dot_)peak\(_dot_)org
I had thought that people said "don't use .* after ^TO".  Is it
needed here, or would:

Normally you should not. This is not normal.

        * ^TO\+[^,]*(_at_)luomat\(_dot_)peak\(_dot_)org

suffice?

The ^TO macro ends with ":(.*[^a-zA-Z])?)" in an attempt to stop
only at word boundries. If you have numbers in your email addresses,
this will not be highly successful. If you have punctuation, it
will not be highly successful. In this case the additional .* after
the macro junks that attempt to find a boundary, which is correct
because we have a stricter boundary we wish to apply, specifically
"\+". Yours will only find a match when there is a + after a non-
alphabetic.

It should also be noted that this still doesn't work with some "silly"
cases such as
        To: tjl+xxx("Hi there, Tim")@luomat.peak.org
which are legal, though not likely to be generated by any mailer's "reply"
function unless posted/mailed that way in the first place.

While that is legal, the normal sendmail.cf method of implementing
+ addresses does not like whitespace or RFC822 specials in the sub-
box part. And the line will get rewritten in canonnical form with
the comment at the end. So it is not an issue.

Elijah
------
Please do not CC me when replying to the list.  It is not my responsibility to
prove to you my mail is not spam, if mail to you bounces it will not be resent.