Re: problem running script

1997-08-01 07:41:00
At 09:42 AM 8/1/97 +0300, era eriksson wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jul 97 10:08:24 EDT,
Kevin Kelleher <kevink(_at_)MIT(_dot_)EDU> wrote:
<... snip explanation of how things have suddenly stopped working ...>
and I can invoke that, too, from the command line.
What in the world have I done wrong?

Perhaps your admins have moved mail handling to another host? One
which doesn't have /bin/perl5? (Even typing that hurts! Why would
anyone put Perl under that name? And tell others about it?)

I found it by accident, actually.  My guess is that they are
afraid that a lot of scripts will stop working if they upgrade.
My ISP is fairly hacker-friendly and they provide a number
of compilers etc., but there is a limit to everything.

So I don't think the admins have changed anything, because
there are other scripts that work just fine, and I can't
see any difference between them and the one that doesn't
work.  Also, as I said, on the command line I can pipe
an email into the script and it works.  I looked in the archive,
and the only example I could find of that "UX:sh unexpected
end of file" stuff was when there was something wrong with
the procmail recipe, such as a missing final parenthesis,
which is not my case.  My recipe is just

:0
* ^Subject: *fofarch
| $HOME/bin/fofworld

but I think the evidence points to some problem with my
.procmailrc, although it must not be visible to the
naked eye. ;-)  But the damned thing is that it makes the
match and expands the script address correctly, and yes
it is spelled the right way.

I'm sure that in the end this will just be some simple little
"obvious" thing, but for now I just don't see it.

Laurence Michaels <lmichael(_at_)esun19(_dot_)gdc(_dot_)com> suggested that my
permissions might not be set correctly, but fofworld is
-rwxr-xr-x, so it isn't that.

The shell is correct (/bin/sh); perl is where it's supposed
to be (however
Kevin Kelleher     kevink(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu    http://world.std.com/~fury/