Re: problem running script [solved]

1997-08-01 13:10:00

Many thanks to Era on this one, for all the suggestions,
help, and patience.

I finally found out what the problem was.  For those of you
who haven't been following, I had a simple recipe that piped
my email into a perl script.  This script would read the
email (via standard input), analyze it line by line, and
execute the commands, if any, that it found.

It had worked for months, but after I made some small
changes it didn't work, and gave the error (in my procmail log):

UX:sh (sh): ERROR: sh: Syntax error at line 1: `end of file' unexpected

It turns out that the problem was in my perl script.

I had introduced a subroutine to read the headers in a
better way, but it turns out that this subroutine was
nothing but an "infinite" loop.

I don't know why the shell saw this as an "unexpected end of
file" but that's what it was doing.

**shamefaced confession:**
I thought that it was working when I called it from the
command line, but all it was doing was not giving me
the error.

Kevin Kelleher     kevink(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu    http://world.std.com/~fury/