Re: hex value in condition

1997-08-08 15:11:00
era eriksson <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> wrote:

<snip>
era> accomplish the same thing. But if you have, for instance, printf(1) on
era> your systems, there's definitely no need to go via Perl:
era>
era>     HENSHIN=`printf "\xca\xd6\xbf\xae"`
era>     ASC=`printf "\x00-\xff"`

Thanks for suggestion.
I browsed printf man page but I could not locate appropriate option so far.

<snip>
era> byte-pairs which start on even-byte boundaries only. (I had guessed
era> you were using a four-byte encoding, but I suppose "32768 character
era> glyphs ought to be enough for anyone" :-)

FYI, the largest Japanese Character Dictionary MOROHOSHI-DAIKANWA
contains about 50,000 (or was it 500,000?) different glyphs.

<snip>
era>  > Does
era>  >   sed -e '/^_* $HENSHIN _*$/,$d'
era>  > work?
era>
era> You should double-quote the expression, otherwise $HENSHIN will be
era> passed to sed literally. (Of course, the other dollar signs need to be
era> single-quoted or backslased.)
era>   Also, I would have my doubts about stock sed being able to cope with
era> 8-bit characters. (If yours does, fine. Modern sed:s certainly should,
era> but don't be surprised if the sed you have isn't "modern".)

Your concern was valid. I had an ancient sed.
Even  sed -e '/"$HENSHIN"/,$d' did not match!
After rather long series of trial and error struggle as usual,
I finally came up with following recipes:

:0fbw
| perl -pe 's/^_* \xca\xd6\xbf\xae _*$/ccmailhenshinline/g' \
| sed -e '/ccmailhenshinline/,$d'

or

:0fbw
| perl -ne 'print if 1../^_* \xca\xd6\xbf\xae _*$/'

Though henshin line remains in second recipe,
it might be a good idea to leave the line.
BTW, is there way to specify "print if not"?

era>
era>  > So far, I have received only Japanese cc:Mail message with such portion.
era>  > To prepare for domestic cc:Mail message with quotation,
era>  > could anyone tell me the corresponding word in domestic cc:Mail?
era>  > Is it "Reply"? "REPLY"? "Quote"? Or?
era>
era> I tried an Alta Vista search but couldn't find anything quickly. If
era> you have other cc:Mail features you know are in messages it generated
era> (like X-Mailer: headers, funny Subject formatting, whatever), try
era> searching for that. (Looking for "Received: from cc:Mail" looked like
era> a good start but it needs to be narrowed down a lot. Perhaps throw in
era> "In-Reply-To:" and so forth.)

Looking at cc:Mails I received,
But some assumingly cc:Mails do not even show this clue.

_/_/_/      Mitsuru FURUKAWA      _/_/_/
_/_/_/        Tokyo, Japan        _/_/_/
_/_/_/     mailto:furu(_at_)009(_dot_)com    _/_/_/
_/_/_/  http://www.009.com/furu/  _/_/_/