Re: The header field that would not die...

1997-08-08 17:21:00

Oh, Hi, James. This list keeps looking like a very small world. Skip M. is
out there somewhere too...

It confuses my procmail too, and subsequently, Pine.

I would think your procmail filter didn't catch it as a (type2) list message
because it greps the header only by default, the header on that message did
not contain the string "type2(_at_)and(_dot_)so(_dot_)forth"?

Let me try to pose the problem a different way:

Some (not all) of AOL's mail machines add a "Return-Path:
listname-request(_at_)host" field to incoming messages. This Return-Path field
*seems* to get its value from the Resent-From field that keeps turning up in
my list messages no matter how I try to stop it. If AOL does add the
Return-Path field, the message doesn't display the way we want it to in the
mailbox of the cursed AOL MUA, and some Microsoft ones as well.

So I figure I can go two ways. One, I can try to stop the Resent-From field
from occuring in my list messages. So far I have been unsuccesful, I don't
know where it's being added, SmartList isn't doing it.

Or, I can force Resent-From to display the author's address rather than the
list server's. That should make the message display right in the listees'
MUAs. But if I understand RFC822 correctly, errors should go to the address
in the Return-Path field if it is present. We definitely do not want error
messages being sent to the listees, that would confuse and alarm them and
they would send me a lot of mail.

So I'm stuck. Any help appreciated.

--Ken
  68 Westy, Admin --type2--  The Volkswagen Bus Mailing List