Re: SPAM on the procmail list

1997-08-12 14:38:00
Paul Dunne writes:
I figure it's some sort of test.  When you stop seeing those spams,

Er, yeah... and if you read the digest, how exactly do you stop
seeing them?  The list needs proper spam protection.

OK, Here's what I do ... no doubt it can be done smarter & better

# arch
:0
* ^TO_ARCH-L
{
  FOLDER=ARCH
  :0 wc
  | formail +1 -d -s procmail -m FOLDER=$FOLDER $HOME/.procmail/.proc.digest

  :0 ai :$FOLDER/$LOCKEXT
  | sortm +$FOLDER -textfield subject
}

 .proc.digest has stuff I use to process digests, including getting rid
of the subject munging (discussed in earlier threads), callouts for
deleting people/subjects I don't want to hear about, deleting the
digest header & trailers, callout to spam filters.  The "callouts" are
just more includerc's.

The 2 things this doesn't do rite for me -- formail screws up
digest entries with included mail messages (too much bursting);
there are still some digest formats I can't work with.
Minor problems at least for now.

I don't read procmail thru the digest.

It's not as easy to catch spam this way, because most techniques & scripts
available now that are effective eat up eg Message-ID munging, or
pick thru Received: headers