simple filter front end to Majordomo sendmail alias

1997-08-21 14:31:48

I was running a Majordomo mailing list on my home computer until
a few months ago, when it moved to a large LISTSERV machine
across the country.  From the various announcements still
existing around the Internet, I continue to receive a trickle of
subscription requests for that list to my Majordomo installation.
I would like to have a filter on the front end that will send an
informational message whenever it sees that mailing list name,
so I don't have to keep checking for and mailing by hand in
response to these inquiries.

Majordomo continues in operation on my machine, even though that
particular list is now disabled, and I want to make sure that
new subscribers still find their way onto the list.  I would also
like to avoid modifying the perl code in Majordomo, for reasons
of simplicity and upward compatibility.

Mail comes addressed to Majordomo, which is a sendmail alias:

majordomo: "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo",
/usr/majordomo/archive/majordomo

If incoming mail to this alias contains a certain string LISTNAME,
I would like to reply with a canned message and then throw away
the message, otherwise pass it to Majordomo as normal.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for how to solve this problem?

Thanks alot!

Lester

--
A. Lester Buck          buck(_at_)compact(_dot_)com