Re: What did I do wrong?

1997-08-22 11:08:18
Excerpts from mail: (22-Aug-97) Re: What did I do wrong? by Wotan
On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, era eriksson wrote:
On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Wotan <wotan(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com> wrote:
Its late, which means I am probably missing the obvious here.  :)
But the following filter causes foo(_at_)bar messages.  What did I forget to
do?

You are filtering stuff but sending it to /dev/null?

No.  I was hoping it would redirect all output to /dev/null, but I know I
screwed something up.  :(

:0 wfi
*^From:.*wotan
*^Subject: post this
|$HOME/bin/post1 > /dev/null

Your recipe is a filter (there's an "f" flag on the ":0" line), but you're
sending the output of the program you are using to filter the e-mail to
/dev/null. This leaves nothing for procmail to continue processing with, so
it creates a dummy e-mail from foo(_at_)bar(_dot_) It has to do this since a
filtering
recipe is non-delivering by definition. Either you should remove the "f" flag
or you should not redirect the output to /dev/null. Probably the former if I
understand what you are trying to do. And actually, if you remove the "f"
flag you should also remove the "w" flag. You probably want to keep the "i"
though.

Later,
Ed