mail separation - From and Content-Length

1997-08-29 05:25:30

I'd very much like to use procmail as my local-delivery agent.

The problem is the way procmail appends new messages to the mailbox. Any
line in the message body that starts with "From " is prepended with a ">"
character. This is... umm... well suffice it to say a tecnical solution
that I imagine not even Microsoft would consider. Imagine what happens
if someone sends me some encoded binary data where one of the lines by
a complete coincidence starts with "From ". Our current solution
uses a local-delivery agent that inserts a "Content-Length:" header which
tells the user-agent/POP server where one message ends and the next one
starts. This is good. I can't find a way to tell procmail:

  "Allways compute and insert a Content-Length header, discard or rewrite
   any content-length headers that were allready present"

I'm looking into sendmail now to se if I can make it allways insert
does rewrite this header inserting the correct length without messing up
the message body with ">"'s.

Or maybe I can use the formail program to add this header and then pipe
the message into procmail.

But procmail should really be able to do this by itself!

--
Gjermund Sørseth