Re: On tcsh interaction

1997-09-02 12:53:41
Frank Evan Perdicaro writes:

Procmail looks like the right tool for me.  I want to
run it here on this Solaris 2.5 machine using it as a junk mail filter.
It will be run from my private bin dir, with a .procmailrc for setup.

I have two issues, one minor, one not so minor.

First, I see this line quite a bit
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail      # You'd better make sure it exists

Note that there is not much information about what MAILDIR actually is,
and what is meant by MAILDIR.  Can somebody out there make a less
cryptic description of what is going on?

 man procmailrc:
     MAILDIR     Current directory while  procmail  is  executing
                 (that  means  that  all  paths  are  relative to
                 $MAILDIR).

Also, I would like to run procmail from my .forward file.  When I
configure it, then run it from sendmail's special verbose delivery
mode, I get this ugly output
/usr/lib/sendmail -v frank
/etc/sendmail.cf: line 75: WARNING: writable directory /etc

 Ah, a recent version of sendmail ;-)
 /etc should not (and doesn't need to) be writable by anyone but the
 owner (normally root).

/export/home/frank/.forward: line 1: forwarding to "|IFS=' ' &&
p=/export/home/frank/bin/procmail"
/export/home/frank/.forward: line 1: "|IFS=' ' &&
p=/export/home/frank/bin/procmail"... User
frank(_at_)server(_dot_)eng(_dot_)dsea(_dot_)com doesn't have a valid shell
for mailing to programs

Hmmm, does tcsh have some bad interaction?  It appears so, as when I edit
/etc/passwd to change to /bin/sh, this type of output disappers.

 Hmm, my login shell is csh (and I exec tcsh in .login), and I have never seen
 such a message.

 I may be completely on the wrong track here, but what is your Mprog
 mailer in sendmail.cf?

There might be two ways to attack this problem.  Can I tell sendmail
somehow to use /bin/sh when sending me mail?  Can I alter the .forward
file to exec a /bin/sh?

LOCAL_SHELL_PATH        [/bin/sh] The shell used to deliver piped email.

 Check the README in sendmail-8.8.x/cf.