Simple condition efficiency

1997-09-16 16:22:39

This is a simple question.

I use my email client to do my filtering into mailboxes.  I use Procmail to
do other things like: auto respond; file server; control my list
subscriptions; modify headers to make it easier for my mail client filter
system; etc.

I want to catch mail that isn't addressed to me or to the lists that I'm
subscribed (only about ten).  Is there good reason to be specific in
condition lines if I don't care where in the header the condition match is?
 That is, if I see "Procmail" anywhere in the header, then most likely it
is something I want and therefore want to pass it on to my mail client for
filtering into a mailbox.

So, for example, is there any reason to be specific with:

   :0
   * ^From:(_dot_)*procmail(_at_)Informatik(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
   {...}

Instead of just

   :0
   * procmail
   {...}

Again, I'm not trying to filter into mailboxes at this point, so it doesn't
matter if this message is from the Procmail list, or if it is some friend
that is writing to me with "Procmail" in the subject.

Is it more or less efficient to be less specific in my conditions?  Will
Procmail quit checking the condition lines when a condition fails?

More specific example.

   # Check if message is not addressed to me, or if the header
   # mentions any of my currently subscribed lists.

   :0
   * ! ^TO_moseley
   * ! procmail
   * ! list-ABC
   * ! list-123
   * ! list-XYZ
   {
      # Not from anyone I know, or addressed to me.
      # Could be spam or I might be on a unknown distribution list.

      INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/checkspam.rc
   }

Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley(_at_)netcom(_dot_)com