Re: IEMMC shut down?

1997-09-25 10:09:26
At 10:49 AM 9/25/97 -0400, Jim Reisert wrote:

A friend called me on the phone and said that IEMMC had been shut down.
AEGIS
is working on the problem.  Obviously details are sketchy at this point.
Anyone else know what's going on?

That was covered in the newsstory that I posted the URL to yesterday (which
itself was a report of events which occurred on the 17th) -- it reported
that IEMMC (which is really just another arm of Cyberpromo) had its lines
cut by AGIS as well.

To note however, www.iemmc.org IS currently in operation.  A simple ping
would have confirmed this.

And to procmail-ize this thread (for those using it to combat spam, among
other things): if you *DO* get any Cyberpromo junkmail because you were
previously filtering based on an originating netblock, then you should
easily be able to use the new originating IP address in the message (and/or
a traceroute to the offending domain) to determine who their new carrier is.

Also, since the domain(s) in question do not own their own netblocks, if
they change providers, their InterNIC record will need to be updated (to
reflect new IP addresses on the nameservers).  No such change to the
Cyberpromo records as of yet.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395