aliases

1997-11-04 13:41:13
        Hello there.  I am new to procmail, although I have been learning it
little by little and using it quite effectively.  I keep on running into
the same problem, however, when I have it aliased to a lot of people.  My
setup is that I have a /etc/procmailrc file.  Right now for test
purposes, it looks like this:

  :0
  * (^TO|^Subject:.*)webman
  {
     :0 hc
     | (formail -r -A"Precedence: junk" \
     -A"X-Loop: webman(_at_)www(_dot_)temple(_dot_)edu" ; \
     echo " "; \
     cat /usr/local/etc/webmsg ) | $SENDMAIL -t

     :0:
     ! webmaster(_at_)www(_dot_)temple(_dot_)edu
  }

        Basicaly webman is a test alias that I have in the /etc/aliases file as:
                webman:         mmays

This works fine.  It sees that mail is for webman, it replies back to the
sender with the message in /usr/local/etc/webmsg, and then it forwards it
to webmaster.  The overall point is to have this message sent to people
when they send mail to webmaster.  But when I switch the webman for
webmaster and delete the forward line, the mail seems to ignore the
procmail and just deliver to the people in the webmaster alias.  The
webmaster alias looks like this:

        webmaster:matt(_at_)thunder(_dot_)temple(_dot_)edu,
        ghinkle(_at_)thunder(_dot_)temple(_dot_)edu,

tia(_at_)astro(_dot_)ocis(_dot_)temple(_dot_)edu,mmays(_at_)thunder(_dot_)temple(_dot_)edu,

sstahler(_at_)thunder(_dot_)temple(_dot_)edu,pdeeney(_at_)thunder(_dot_)temple(_dot_)edu,

ray(_at_)thunder(_dot_)temple(_dot_)edu,woneill(_at_)thunder(_dot_)temple(_dot_)edu,

weblog(_at_)hialeah(_dot_)ocis(_dot_)temple(_dot_)edu,stan(_at_)thunder(_dot_)temple(_dot_)edu

The only solution I have is to change the webmaster to webmaster1:
blah(_at_)blah(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)etc(_dot_)  And then have:

        webmaster:      mmays

since when this happens, mail never gets to mmays because procmail takes
care of it, and then sends the automated reply and then would forward it
to webmaster1.  Is there another way to do this without having to add
that extra line in the alias file.  Does procmail have a rule that it
lets the aliases take precendence?  Please send all replies to this
address.  Thank you.

                        Michael Mays

*  Michael Mays                           *
*  mmays(_at_)temple(_dot_)edu                       *
*  http://rosemary.ocis.temple.edu/~mays  *