Alternative to a global lockfile...

1997-11-05 07:57:47
'ello there,

I have a series of scripts that runs every night through cron to expire
old messages, sort and pack my mh folders, and then index the whole lot.
I'd like to prevent procmail from delivering any mail whilst this
processing is going on.

One solution would be a global lockfile, but I imagine this would impact
performance at other times as well: as I understand it, with a global
lockfile in place, only one instance of procmail could be active
(delivering to my account) at any given time.

I'd like to avoid this, if possible.  I only need to stop procmail while
the scripts are executing. None of the solutions I've come up with seem
especially elegant; the best I've come up with is to have the processing
scripts swap in a new .procmailrc when they run that would simply
soft-fail all deliveries, and swap the original back in when done.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

-- Lars

---
Lars Kellogg-Stedman * lars(_at_)bu(_dot_)edu * (617)353-8277
Office of Information Technology, Boston University
PGP 768/4E444575 5F 6C 2C 3E 31 D4 E7 15  E4 33 10 98 6A 14 8B F6