Re: This has got to be a FAQ pretty soon...

1997-12-09 04:03:11
On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, david hunt wrote:

| >Also, let's say I want to bounce everything as user unknown, but I don't
| >want to get returned bounces when the from address was illegitimate.
|
| If by "bounce" you mean sending mail to the spammer, I think it is bad
| practice. If the bounce even gets to the spammer, the spammer drops it on
| the floor unseen.
|
| >The naive "just bounce as user unknown"  gets bounces to postmaster on
| >our attempts to bounce spam...
|
| Which is the best reason to not bounce or send autoreplies.

Another good reason is that all those bounces, which get ignored by the
spammer/recipient anyway, still take up needless bandwith on the net.
The spam is bad enough for that, bouncing it back with some more stuff
added is just plain silly. You become part of the problem rather than
the solution. IMHO, of course.

Regards,
--
          Kimmo Jaskari          | ÅLCOM - Ålands Datakommunikation Ab |