Re: to bounce or not to bounce (was: got to be a FAQ ...)

1997-12-09 11:13:09
Tue 97-12-09 wwgrol(_at_)sparc01(_dot_)fw(_dot_)hac(_dot_)com (W. Wesley
Groleau x4923) list.procmail
| > | Which is the best reason to not bounce or send autoreplies.
|
| bounce doesn't even go to the spammer's host!  But if there was a reliable
| way to detect the true originating host amongst the forged Received:
| headers, I would love to search the body for an address at that host,
| change From: to that address, and THEN do a bounce 77.  :-)

Amen. I used to bounce too, but then I bounced to wrong person/group
and that caused lot of apologies from _my_ side. Now all the UBE goes
to a separate Emacs Gnus Group from where I pick the real UBE messages
(there is always 10% false hits) which I run through nslookup (all
chains in the Received: header) and then I forward the messages to
postmasters as well as to the <spam-list(_at_)toby(_dot_)han(_dot_)de> [1]

Works wonders. The postmasters must be fed up with these UBE guys.
jari

[1]

       "Against Spam -- The garbage collecting."
        To support this archive please forward email spam to
        <spam-list(_at_)toby(_dot_)han(_dot_)de>. Everybody is invited to
bounce Mail-Spam
        he/she has got to this list. This is a mailinglist to distribute
        actual spam-eMail. All incoming mail will be checked by subject and
        from/sender-address wether it has already been distributed or not.
        No discussions in this list. To discuss about this list please
        subscribe to <spam-list-d(_at_)hiss(_dot_)org>
        http://www.spam-archive.org/