Re: Procmail as a Global Mail Filter

1997-12-13 22:08:37

end

"Goodman, JE James (6914)" <GoodmanJE(_at_)gvl(_dot_)esys(_dot_)com> writes:
I am trying to set up Procmail to filter Spam coming into our
organization. Procmail is installed on a machine that exists on the
external side of our firewall.  I want all incoming e-mail to pass
through the filters. Any mail mail that passes wil then be sent to our
mailserver for distribution to the users. I have made the following
changes to the sendmail.cf file :

If this machine outside your firewall is just passing message in via
SMTP then it won't invoke ever invoke the local mailer, as everything
that would normally be delivered via the local mailer will instead be
delivered via SMTP to the inside mailserver.  The solution is to use
the hook you're currently using to send the message into the internal
machine to instead call the procmail mailer, then build another hook
for procmail to use to feed the message back in and get sendmail to
send it through.  This is where those sendmail rules mentioned in the
procmail(1) manpage would come into play.  Where they would appear and
exactly how they would be worded depends on how mail is currently
hooked into the inside machine.

Note that the procmailrc that does the filtering would not be
/etc/procmailrc, but rather the file actually mentioned in the hook to
procmail built above, probably something like /etc/procmailrcs/spam.check

Philip Guenther