re: /var/spool/mail (fwd)

1997-12-17 10:05:44

ok i think i may've figured out. sendmail edits the headers
of incoming mail so that only the "From:"and "Date:"lines show
up as headers and the rest (subject, to, received by, x-sender etc.) are
crammed into the body of the msg; hence,procmail is only able to filter
based on what's in the From: and Date: lines and ignores the rest.

as an example.. when procmail is instructed to transfer all mail
with subject, "hello" into a certain file, it looks at the msgs'
"date" then the "from", but never gets to the "subject" part since the
"subject" is located in the body of the msg and not the "headers"..
So msgs with subject "hello" are piled into /var/spool/mail/user because
as far as procmail is concerned, there is no "subject".

---------------
From:             -> headers
Date:
---------------
Received by:
content
--------------

'Not sure what is causing this (mis)behavior..perhaps it's because
Geocities uses a different MTA (?) or my version of sendmail is
incompatible with theirs. Any ideas? I fetch mail directly from the
geocities server, in case that's of any significance.

You should have posted your .forward file as well.  If you .forward file is
wrong, procmail never gets invoked
  In particular, you cannot assume all
of your environmental variables are defined when you are not logged on.
You may need to specify a full path name to the procmail binary at your
site.

Felix