Routing messages using a key

1997-12-25 12:46:21

Here is a question I have and rather than try to figure it out for a long
time I'll just ask the experienced here.

I am going to have certain people email me ascii text file that will
have one line at the top which designates who they are by a number.

It will be a line like USER=15

What I need to do is look at this line, get the number 15 from it and make
sure its within some bounds.  Then, once I figure out its valid, I need
to strip this line from the top of the message, and then write the message
to a file using the number as part of the file name.  I don't need any of the
header information saved to the file.

I wonder what would be the best thing to use, maybe a perl script or
maybe just sed or even grep?

ff