Re: Counting Content-Length ?

1998-01-01 04:06:30
On Wed, 31 Dec 1997 10:27:46 +0200, jari(_dot_)aalto(_at_)poboxes(_dot_)com
wrote:
Tue 97-12-30 Vikas Agnihotri <VikasA(_at_)att(_dot_)com> list.procmail
| 4. Is the recipe 100% accurate that I can replace any existing
| Content-length headers with this score (after using HB to measure both head
| and body of course) and not have any MUA which relies completely on
Yes. It's 100% accurate and fast.

A better solution would be this, unless you are running procmail -Y:

    :0fw
    | formail -A"Content-Length: 000000"

This will only add a Content-Length header if there isn't one in the
message already. You might still want to check whether there is a
Content-Length header from earlier, for performance purposes. Procmail
will notice the incorrect Content-Length and fix it before writing the
message.

At least Emacs based MUA's don't rely on Content-Length
(VM,RMAIL,MH,GNUS..), but I have heeard that Sun's mailtool goes
beserk. Does anyone know what elm, pine or mutt etc thinks about
Content-Length ?

I believe Elm uses it, too. BTW, Emacs VM mode can read and generate
this format if you ask nicely.

/* era */

--
 Paparazzi of the Net: No matter what you do to protect your privacy,
  they'll hunt you down and spam you. <http://www.iki.fi/~era/spam/>