Re: Cyrus deliver/procmail lack of resources

1998-01-07 19:59:39
On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

[ sendmail -> procmail -> deliver wouldn't on a 22M message, but sendmail
-> deliver would ]

My question is: What resource do you think ran out here? I know I didn't run
out of disk space, so I'm wondering if the problem was just contention for a
single disk, or if the process of feeding the message through a pipe to
procmail caused the system to run out of RAM...

Does Linux store the entire contents of the pipe in memory while the
receiving end accepts and processes it, or does it get stored somewhere on
disk (like DOS and Windows NT do)? Alternatively, I wonder if procmail
accepted the whole message from the pipe, storing it temporarily somewhere,
but then ran out of memory while trying to apply recipes against it.

You can try `cat 22-Meg > procmail` and see what procmail does, monitoring
resource usage meanwhile [what is a good way on Linux, I don't know --
IRIX has top, osview, and gmemview, which are _instrumental_ in situations
like these.]

--
Penio Penev <Penev(_at_)pisa(_dot_)Rockefeller(_dot_)edu> 1-212-327-7423