MIME in headers

1998-01-10 08:38:17
I fairly frequently receive quoted printable mail with the header (most
importantly, the From line) virtually illegible since it's in QP. From
what I can tell, that happens whenever the sender has characters with
umlauts in them, as many people with swedish names do.

I found a recipe to convert the mails themselves to 8bit, but that doesn't
seem to affect the from line much, and it's a pain to have to edit the To
line manually whenever I have to reply to one of those mails.

If this is childishly simple I apologize, but I would still appreciate
info on how to clean up those header lines; the ones that usually get
illegible are From: and Subject:, if they have swedish characters in
them. I have both mimencode and the normal procmail/formail stuff on the
machine.

From:
=?iso-8859-1?Q?lands_R=E5d=E5re_=3Ckimmo=40alcom(_dot_)aland(_dot_)fi=3E?=(_at_)alcom(_dot_)aland(_dot_)fi

The above is an example of what it looks like when I set my personal name
to a silly name with several accented characters and sent the mail from
a copy of Eudora with QP turned on.

--
Kimmo Jaskari                   | ÅLCOM - Ålands Datakommunikation Ab
kimmo(_at_)alcom(_dot_)aland(_dot_)fi           | Phone +358-(0)18-12122