Re: Unidentified subject! (how to get your butt of this list - repost #2493)

1998-01-16 18:38:42
At 04:15 PM 1/17/98 +0800, aoc wrote:

I don't want to name names so suffice it to say he's not the only one.
There are others on this list with the same 'problem'. Perhaps an
'ego-check' is in place (?)

No, perhaps a SIMPLE check of the documentation is in order.  Even
displaying the program version:

        procmail -v

CLEARLY shows two separate addresses - one for discussion, and the other
for subscription requests.  Anyone who manages to dig up the subscription
info in the first place and subscribe themselves, yet not see any of the
volumes of pointers they are provided with is simply not paying attention.

Even a < 30 second DejaNews or AltaVista web search on
"procmail(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de" and "unsubscribe" will
net you
instructions (in the case of DejaNews, only 4 results in the current
message space, and they're ALL pertinent - and 3 of them are the SAME
message, which leaves you with only TWO messages to look at to get the
instructions).  But of course, this is a bit more work on YOUR part than
just asking others to make YOUR problem go away.

For future reference, the above technique works quite well for most mailing
lists.  Use the full list address when possible, but otherwise the listname
will usually net you good results.  Start the search on DejaNews - you'll
get more concise results there.

People posting "remove me" messages, without subjects, should be made aware
of the fact that someone else - just another list MEMBER - either has to
explain it to them, or FORGE a message to perform an unsubscribe FOR them.
The net is full of helpful people - but you are expected to help yourself -
and list un/subscriptions are one of the most basic forms of self-help.

When I subscribe to mailing lists, I actually SAVE the subscription
information for future reference.  Most welcome messages TELL you that you
should save the message for future reference - perhaps you should READ them
and FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.

Who decided they had to break protocol and post a private email to a public
discussion group anyway?  If someone has a beef with someone about an
off-list message, go ahead and flame away -- just flame THEM, via the
address they privatley emailed you at, not via the discussion list.